HomeVeterans Guide to VA BenefitsVeteran Benefits-Survivors BenefitsParents Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

10.3. Parents Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

(Parents Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is for the Surviving Parents of Veterans

You may be able to get compensation as a surviving parent if both of the descriptions below are true for you. You’ll also need to provide evidence with your claim showing that one of the descriptions below is true for the Veteran or service member. Evidence may include documents like military service records, doctor’s reports, and medical test results.

Both of these must be true:

Note: VA defines a foster parent as someone who served in the role of a parent to the Veteran or service member before their last entry into active service.

You’ll also need to provide evidence that one of these descriptions is true for the Veteran or service member:

If you’re a surviving parent, fill out an Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by Parent(s) (VA Form 21P-535).

Download VA Form 21P-535 (PDF)

You can apply for this benefit in any of these ways:

This page was: Helpful | Not Helpful