a. The objectives of this Handbook are to:
(1) Acquaint VA medical facilities with basic information on the operation, application, and procedures involved in the VA Driver Rehabilitation Program.
(2) Provide general and specific guidance to designated driver rehabilitation specialists and to members of the medical facility's administrative and supporting staff regarding the purpose, scope, procedures, and technicalities of VA's comprehensive Driver Rehabilitation Program for Veterans with disabilities.
b. To further the full implementation of this program, VA has:
(1) Established approximately 45 driver training facilities for Veterans with disabilities throughout the United States;
(2) Purchased specially equipped vehicles;
(3) Designated, funded, and trained driver rehabilitation specialists;
(4) Authorized, purchased, and installed add-on adaptive equipment; and
(5) Purchased sophisticated training equipment (e.g., simulators, high-tech driving systems, etc.)